Saturday, July 7, 2018

Passport invitation

My cousin recently got married, and she and her husband are living in Japan for a few years.  We had a travel-themed shower for the globe-trotting couple, and my mom asked me to find an invitation that went with the theme.   I browsed around on pinterest and found a few ideas that I liked, but couldn't find a way to purchase my favorite one that looked like a passport, so I decided to design one. 
 I got some inspiration from the samples I had found on pinterest, as well as looking up images of actual passports.  


For the cover, I went with the traditional navy of passports, and put together a monogram "seal" for them.  The border is a wreath of cherry blossoms, inspired by the couple's love of Japan. 


For the inside, I tried to blend passport details with a dash of wedding patterns.  


I replaced the eagle found on passports with a dove, and on the top half I put a world map as the background texture. "We the people" was replaced with "we the family" and I tried to keep the font looking close to the old fashioned script used on official documents. 


For the background on the bottom half, I pulled an image of a quilt pattern used for the "wedding ring" styled print (trying to be subtle but still marriage themed).  I also added some splattered blue with a low opacity to soften the pictures and to hint at the iridescent finish that is on passports. 
(I did not take the picture of the couple, that was harvested from her facebook account) :) 



I was able to find a local printer in Central Illinois to make these come to life and I could not have been happier with the results!  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if you are in need of a passport-style invitation for an event you are hosting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment